Toroidal core is a ring-shaped type of soft magnetic core. which has been extensively used in industrial applications, domestic appliances, energy sector, railways and other distinctive electronic equipment where there is an extensive demand for its better price value and coil efficiency.
Toroidal cores can be made of different materials such as ferrite, Nano Crystalline, Amorphous and Specialized silicon steel. Among which silicon steel-based toroid transformer cores have got great market value among the buyers for their great value price and unmatched performance as compared to other core materials.
In the past five years, the growth of toroidal cores has grown significantly and formed a considerable scale of large scale production exceeding the demand of domestic buyers from energy sectors and also has demand outside of India.
As per the current market trend the toroidal cores are has got huge demand in audio amplifiers and other household-based electronics since it has got excellent performance and price ratio, good output characteristics with lightweight.
Toroidal core majorly consists of two major winding Primary Winding(as Input) and Secondary Winding(as Output) which is covered with a layer of insulation to prevent short circuits during operation of transformers. Plastic and silicone are majorly acted as a dielectric substance to prevent unwanted losses.
After the layer of insulation, the primary winding is done based on the desired voltage output. In between the windings it is highly desired to find a shielding winding(especially for Isolation transformers). Between the shielding winding and the transformer winding again a thin layer of dielectric insulating is applied.
Above everything, the final winding is applied called secondary winding. The output could vary based on the number of turns winding applied to the toroidal core.
Characteristics and features of the toroidal core
- The Toroidal core occupies very little space while installing electronic equipment and devices. This has a direct overall impact which reduces its weight significantly.
- The uniform winding of copper wires over toroidal cores has huge savings on expensive copper wires. Due to its design having a shorter length. It provides a lower resistance value which is a plus in efficiency. Also, less steel is consumed more than 50% percent of the material.
- Not only efficiency due to its shape cooling occurs quite efficiently as a result of which losses in iron and copper material are greatly reduced. Providing higher efficiency and a great amount of material savings while producing the core with the very little magnetization of current.
- The toroidal core is the most efficient compared to other cores with a stacking factor of as much as 0.9 with the permeability of 1.7 Tesla with remarkable efficiency to 90%.
- The amount of noise caused due to mechanical vibration is very low due to its annular core design with no air present between the layers. It could be used in highly sensitive electronic devices especially for portable and medical devices due to its small amount of flux leakage.
Our toroidal cores are made from higher-grade materials of cold rolled grain oreinted silicon steel core and cold rolled non-grain oriented steel silicon steel core imported from different steel mills of the country. Whereas JFE Steel Corporation, POSCO India Pvt.Ltd., Nippon Steel Corporation, NLMK Steel, Jindal Steel and Power Limited, Bao Iron and Steel Co. Ltd., Thyssenkrupp, AK Steel Corporation are the main electrical steel suppliers for Nicore India.
This makes our toroidal cores even more superior in performance as compared to other material such as ferrite and other convention cores due to its impurity. As the magnetic field direction is completely aligned with the magnetic circuit of the toroidal core which almost brings down the core loss by 20%.
Scope of toroidal cores for future use
Currently, most of the toroidal core is only limited to radio equipment and communication devices.
Now due to its advancement in better electrical properties and miniaturizing in size. It is used in audio amplifiers, computer and office electronics safety alarms in industrial equipment.